Last night a group of us friends hopped onto a bus and headed out in hopes of seeing a Leatherback turtle. As luck had it, we got there around 8pm (about a two hour bus ride) and jumped out of the bus to see a mother leatherback on the sand! We were so excited! We had to stay behind out guide (Dora) most of the time. It was so fascinating to see the turtle lay her eggs! First, she dug out a hole with her back flippers, using them exactly as you would a shovel. She would really scoop out the sand with her huge flipper! It was so cool! It is hard to tell the size of her, but she was gigantic! I whispered to Sara standing close by, that she kind of reminded me of the turtle on the "Neverending Story." It was crazy seeing something that big moving around on the sand.I also should apologize that these photographs are not the best. You have to take in mind that we were not allowed to use any white light at all,...so no flashes, no flashlights, nada. The researchers and our guide carried a red light with them, that doesn't affect the turtles, which is why alot of my pictures have a red glow to them. That was my only source of light. I also didn't have a tripod and it was about 9-10pm at night, so it was pretty black. I actually couldn't even see the turtle when they turned their red lights off, and I would just shoot hoping to get her in the picture. Luck must have been on my side, cause I caught a couple of her without the red glow.
When she started laying her eggs, one of the researchers held out her hand to catch them. I really wanted to touch her, and was sad that we didn't get the chance to. I guess you normally get to when they are laying their eggs, but there were too many people. :(
It was such a neat experience and I am so glad we got to go and watch it!















5 comments:
How cool! What a fun experience! It's crazy that you actually got to see the turtle lay the eggs.
Not to mention that it was so dark we thought the backpack was the turtle in the beginning. Thanks for the pictures Casey. They're great!
How fun! I love seeing the adventures you have over there! Let's do for sure get together in May when you come home! I'll just plan on it and let everyone else know so we can get together for a fun girls night! I can't wait to see ya! It's been too long!
I'm so glad you found me! I have thought so much of you off and on over the years. (Did I already leave a comment earlier and tell you that?) You are as beautiful as ever and your little girl is a doll. Life looks fantastic and full of adventures. Wish I could come visit.
Wow! How cool to experience that! Not something you get to see everyday.
Post a Comment